Monday, October 17, 2011

Activity of the Mind

Hello everyone and welcome to my new followers :-),

Today at church, my pastor spoke about how unforgiveness hinders alot of us from receiving God's blessings. We have to let go because its like trying to use the wrong key (unforgiveness) to activate (open the door to) God's promises. Unforgiveness can make you miss God's will for your life because you will be acting based on your emotions instead of letting God control your emotions. For example, Joseph didnt let the past stop him from moving forward i.e. he didnt hold the wickedness of his brothers to heart such that he became blessed even as a servant and as a prime minister in a country where he was not a citizen. It was with that heart of forgiveness that made him able to help his brothers when there was faminine in their hometown. Sometimes, we say we have forgiven but its very hard to let go. I am going through the school of forgiveness and I have learnt to learn from it whilst letting go so that in the future I will be more cautious when I encounter such situation.

Quick one here:
Recently I started remembering the ex and got really bitter, wanting to give him a piece of my mind and let him know how my life was almost ruined if not for God's grace and love for me. Then I realized, I hadn't gotten over everything, I still despised him so much the more I realize the truth, and still question how stupid I was. Na im I con ask myself wetin they worry me sef? the bobo is living freely while I am here being a prisoner of my emotions. Plus thing be sey if I give him a piece of mind, I will be at a loss na cos na me no go dey normal as per my mind go soon finish. Something said to me, remember you are at a point where you need God to help you in life decisions, the enemy is trying to use this unforgiveness to stop you from receiving from God; so, go to Him in prayer. Atfirst I ignored but then I did shakara and I did what I know how to do best. I ran to my father in heaven and told Him what was up, I spilled out everything including the words I wanted to say to the ex, I screamed, vexed, acted the way I will act if the ex was in my front oh. I came to a realization that the healing is ongoing and I need God's help so I dont get distracted by random thoughts. It was very soothing and I love the fact that I can tell God anything and He understands me. It gives me hope and assure me that I am safe, sane and not worry about anyone talking about me. I asked God to give me a heart of forgiveness and the ability to forgive so I can move on, stop being bitter and enjoy my life without bitterness renting apartment in my heart. I thank God for the courage, strength and ongoing revelation knowledge.


Lets not forget that the mind is like a playground where everyone comes to play. We have to be mindful of who we allow to come play. Picture a school playground, not everyone is allowed to play there else you are a student. However, on rare occassions someone might sneek in to play because the gatekeeper was either distracted or not at the gate. Same with our mind, lets be cautious least we allow the stronghold of the enemy take refuge in it. We do this by the constant renewal of our mind.

This week I encourage you to check what you let into your mind, check your thoughts; "cast down arguments (thoughts) and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corithians 10 vs 5). If you have difficulty dwelling a the right thing, Paul encourage us to "dwell on whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things arepure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you" (Phillipians 4:8-9).

If you are stuggling with unforgiveness, remember forgiveness is a choice not a feeling to do it. You have to choose to be let go so that you can be free and ready to be promoted by God. You can only achieve this by asking the Helper (Holyspirit) to guide you and grant you the grace to forgive and let go.

Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed week :)

15 comments:

  1. I think we all are in the school of forgiveness. May God help us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgiveness isn't easy at all and in lots of cases one needs God's help.The depth of a hurt influences how easy forgiveness is going to be dished out.But this doesn't mean we should be prisoners of our own emotions because that is even a sin to our own selves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes God and our own willingness to let go for forgiveness to occur. There's a little pride in it too. Cause when you hold on to such feelings it makes you feel superior..afterall i am a better person than this evil boy/girlfriend...not necessarily. Let go let God. He will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can very well relate with you sis. I was in this kinda situation a while back. All I can say is the Holy Spirit took over cuz I couldn't do it on my own. Those scriptures just nail it home!

    You'll be fine. I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know forgiving and forgetting should go hand in glove, hence doesn't it sound wrong for me to say I have the forgiveness part down, but not the forgetting?
    Sometimes, I get really confused on what forgiveness entails...does it translate as just wiping out every memory of the event what?

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Lovely post.

    Forgiveness is not an easy thing though but its achievable. Hmmm God help us.

    Aside: I Love Love LOVE the illustration with the playground, gonna remember it for a long time to come.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to be honest and say I can forgive but I cant forget

    Forgiveness comes with time and it is actually easier to forgive when you are in a better place than the person who hurt you. This comes with time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not forgiving actually takes a lot of energy cos the whole issue keeps you tied, takes up your time,stresses you out and can sometimes cause you stomach ulcers. Though forgiving and forgetting go in the same sentence, it is not easy. Leaving everything to God and praying to let go will help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to struggle with unforgiveness because i was the kind of person who got really wounded and hurt whenever I felt like someone offended me. Until i came across this amazing book called "Avoiding the Trap of being offended" By Kenneth Hagin and the Lord completely set me free. I highly recommend it for anyone who finds themselves in that position because it was really sch an eye opener.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. when i find it hard to forgive , i remember the verse that says “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. Matt 16:14-15

    It does take time and God strength but learn to forgive yourself First!

    takecare hun

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Travel Buff- very true, everyone is still in that school. thanks stopping by..

    @ A-9ja-Great..Hmm the deeper the hurt the longer the healing...interesting..like they say time heals all wound

    @Ginger- The feeling of being superior is very true but we are inferior to our emotions..I think thats what the victim mentality is all about..

    @Micheal Onobote- Thanks so much..Forgiveness is not possible on our own accord but with God

    @HoneyDame- Forgetting is the letting go part which as humans we find it difficult.I am sure God understands and thats why He wants us to ask for the grace to let go.I believed that Forgetting is letting go, sweeping that memory but also taking a lesson or 2 to help guide us in future situations.

    @ Beautiful.Thanks :-)..yes God help us oh..:-)..I am glad you love illustration..:)

    @N.I.L- I like your honesty :-)..lol well its true but you will be secretly which the person remain in the not so better place..God help us all

    @Okeoghene- Let go let go and gain your sanity/health..interesting point :-)

    @Mimi B- thanksfor the book recommendation..Noted. Can you please a brief summary of the book? 2 sentences is good..Thanks

    @My Queen-Dom-Thanks and welcome to my blog..yea forgiving yourself is critical also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This forgiveness thing is so hard!!! kmt! sometimes the person who committed the crime is not even showing any remorse yet we still have to forgive, the only thing that gives me a second thought is when I remember I have to forgive to be forgiven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thought provoking. I find it hard forgetting the wrongs done to me by people. I tell myself i have forgiven so and so and even ask God to help me to let go of the past. But once I see the person, i still get angry and remember the wrong they did. I'm gradually trying to let go sha. I don't want anything to hinder my blessings.
    It's my first time here, I like and i'm following.

    naijabankgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just want I needed to read...the holy spirit has been convicting me about this and I need to work on it...I have ex bitterness also...sigh...healing is indeed a process!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The grass is always greener on the other side but you dont know how much the water bill cost...Love that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your time and input xoxo